Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Hall of Fame Teacher

As I watch the 2015 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction, I smile as I recall fond memories of my all-time favorite baseball player, Craig Biggio. My dad raised me to love sports and understand the game, but I had a crush on this rookie in 1988. Some of the best memories were going to the last game in the Dome, the first game at Enron Field, the 2004 All Star Game at Minute Maid, and game 3 of the 2005 World Series. I have to admit that I dug through a few old boxes to find the baseball cards and pictures I had cut out of The Houston Chronicle back in the day. (This was way before social media and actually before the internet).


When I think about Craig Biggio as a player, I think of grit, drive, focus, and selflessness. Biggio played each game of the grueling season with grit and determination. He worked hard and got dirty. Blood, sweat, dirt, and pine tar always covered his uniform. He would run hard and turn singles into doubles. He was hit by a few (or 285) pitches during his career as he stood at the plate fearlessly. He had the drive to learn different positions to do what was best for the organization. And he didn't just play catcher, second base, and outfield, he was an all-star and Gold Glove winner in two of the three positions. Though the season can be long with stretches away from family, Biggio kept the main thing the main thing. Lastly, Biggio remained an Astro his entire 20 year MLB career. You don't find that loyalty in professional sports.


I say all of this because Biggio is an example for how good teachers become great. Teach with grit and determination. Keep the main thing the main thing, which is kids first. Be flexible, and sometimes that means doing what is best for the team. Great teachers work hard. Sometimes the work is dirty, but the rewards in the end are like winning the world series when students are successful. Great teachers leave a Hall of Fame legacy when they make a difference in a child’s life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment